NetSim is a discrete event simulator covering a broad range of wired, wireless, mobile and sensor networks.
It comes with a simple and user friendly GUI which features drag and drop functionality for devices, links, application etc.
The specifications for the IOT module are –
- Design network, simulate and observe the performance of 6LoWPAN network using NetSim GUI
- Simulation Area: 1000000 m X 1000000 m
- No of sensors to be deployed: 500
- Devices: Sensor Motes, 6LoWPAN Gateway, Routers, Switches, AP, Nodes can be dragged and dropped for network design
- Data link and physical layer implementation is as per IEEE 802.15.4 standards.
- Network layer is IPV6 (RFC 2460) and can run both on IPV4 and IPv6.
- Routing via RPL (RFC 6550), AODV (RFC 3561).
- 6LoWPAN Gateway will switch the packet from one network from another,
- Facility to conduct various experiments for differing input / output parameters
- Input: Beacon Order, Superframe Order, Backoff Exponent, Power Consumption, Battery life Extension, CCA type, Channel Number, Routing Time, Phy SHR Duration, Receiver Sensitivity, ED Threshold, Channel Characteristics
- Output: Routing Overhead, Delay, Power Consumption, Lifetime of motes, Packet Delivery ratio, Routing Time, Actual Vs Sensed path of agent
- Protocol – IEEE 802.15.4
- Frequency Band – 2400MHz
- Data rate – 250 kbps
- Chip rate – 2000 Mchips/s
- Symbols Rate – 62.5 ksymbols/s
- Modulation Technique – O-QPSK
- Min LIFS Period – 40 symbols
- Min SIFS Period – 12 symbols
- Unit Back off time – 20 symbols
- Phy SHR Duration – 3,7,10,40 symbols
- Phy symbol per octet – 0.4, 1.6, 2,8
- Turnaround time – 12 symbols
- CCA Mode
- Receiver Sensitivity and EDThreshold
- Transmitter Power - 1 to 100 dBm
- Protocol – IEEE802.15.4
- AckRequest – True, False
- Beacon Mode – Enable, Disable
- Beacon order and Super Frame order – 0 to 15
- MaxCSMABackoff – 0 to 5
- MinCAPLength – 440 symbols
- Maximum Back off Exponent, Min Back off Exponent and Maximum Frame Retries
- Unit Back off period – 20 symbols
- GTSDesc persistent time – 4 sec
- Power Source – MainLine , Battery
- Energy Harvesting – on, off
- Initial Energy – 0.001 -1000 mAH
- Transmitting current – 0 to 20 mA, Idle Mode Current – 0 to 20 mA, Receiving Current – 0 to 20 mA, Sleep Mode Current – 0 to 20 mA, Recharging Current – 0 to 1.0 mA
- Voltage – 0 to 10 V
- AODV Routing Protocol
- RPL Routing Protocol as per RFC 6550 (Specifications Provided Separately)
- UDP, TCP (Old Tahoe, Tahoe, Reno, New Reno, Bic, Cubic)
- Application Type: Unicast, Broadcast
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
- Database Application
- Email Application
- HTTP Application
- Constant Bit Rate(CBR) Application
- Voice traffic
- Voice codecs include G.711, G.723, G.729, GSM – FR, GSM EFR
- CBR service
- VBR services
- Silence suppression via deterministic model and DTMC
- Video Traffic
- Continuous Normal VBR
- Continuous State Auto Regressive Markov Model
- Quantized State Continous Time Markov Model
- Simple IPB Composite Model
- Custom Model: Users can develop custom application model based on Packet size and inter-arrival time available in the following probability distributions: Exponential, Constant
- Peer to Peer application
- Encryption: AES, DES, XOR, TEA
- QoS: UGS, RTPS, eRTPS, nRTPS, BE
Protocol source C codes available for user modification
Output Performance Metrics:A variety of network performance is reported including
- AODV Metrics
- IP metrics, TCP / UDP Metrics etc.
- Plots (Graphical plot of an attribute over time) is available for application throughputs and Link throughputs with docking feature.
Detailed Packet Trace: Users can log details of each packet as it flows in the network.
Detailed Event Trace:Users can log each event of the protocol FSM while execution of the discrete event simulation.
Packet Animation:User can enable multiple options.
- IP Address for devices.
- Graphs are plotting simultaneously with packet transmission.
- IP table for each device.
- Battery level indicator.
- Filter option for table that is present in the animation window.
Command Line Interface
- CLI mode of running for more concise and powerful means of control
- Facilitates use of automated scripts for running batch simulations
- Model network configurations using XML based configuration files
Wireshark Interfacing: pcap files can be recorded at each node which can be opened in Wireshark for protocol analysis
MATLAB Interface: NetSim can be interfaced with MATLAB offline or online (run-time)
File Exchange Link